Help A Friend Through A Loss
It may seem like an insurmountable task to help a friend through a loss, funeral home, or cremation in Rahway, NJ. However, it doesn’t have to be. There are an almost infinite number of ways you can support someone in their time of need:
- Do Something – Right after someone suffers a loss, its almost impossible to get anything done. As a friend, step in and help. Do anything that needs doing, from emptying the dishwasher and doing the laundry to giving the kid’s dinner. Offer to pick up arriving family from the airport, or go to the grocery store for supplies. Just be there for anything that needs to be done.
- Bring Food Later On – Most people bring the bereaved food right away, so families often have too much food following a loss. Bring food for the bereaved later on, maybe after a week or two. That way, the support continues after the funeral. Be the friend who shows up with a hot meal three weeks out, since that will be when its appreciated most.
- Skip the Flowers – While flowers are a traditional gift, they’re not practical and can be skipped. Instead, send a gift card for a massage or nail treatment, or make a donation to a related charity or organization. You can also gather photos of the deceased that your friend might not have and give them as a gift either via email or a disc. These memories will be cherished much longer than flowers can possibly last.
- Be True To Your Friend’s Needs – You know your friend, so use that knowledge to anticipate needs and help in more comprehensive ways. For example, if your friend is a runner, invite them on a run with you to show support and offer companionship. Or, if your friend is a musician, bring around your instrument and offer to play with them as a release.
- Don’t Judge – Loss is extremely hard, and grief brings out different reactions in everybody. Let your friend express their grief however they need to, and don’t judge. If they need to swear and scream, let them swear and scream. If they cry and fall apart, just give them tissues and support. There’s no wrong way to grieve, and there’s no wrong way to support someone suffering a loss.
No matter what you do, you’re only goal should be making sure your friend knows they’re not alone. Grief is hard, but it’s survivable especially with help from those you love. If you want to learn more about how you can help a friend who’s suffered a recent loss, or would like more information on Rahway, NJ funeral homes and cremations, contact Plinton Curry Funeral Home. Located at 411 W Broad St Westfield, NJ 07090, Plinton Curry Funeral home is here to help. Give us a call at (908) 232-6869 to learn more about what we can do for you in your time of need.